Originally emailed 1.17.2011 @ 1103pm - Brian Clague
Monday Update:
Jon spent most of the day dealing with surgical issues. He first underwent a tracheostomy and a PEG (stomach tube for feeding); then moved to the operating room under the care of the Orthopedists to have his right upper arm treated ; and finally the facial bone surgeons repaired his fractured jaw. He returned to his room some 10 hours later, actually none the worse for all that effort. The nurse attending him stated that he gripped her hand indicating that he wanted more in the way of pain meds. By the time we could get to see him he was again sedated and comfortably turning on the roto bed. We had again missed that window of opportunity to observe him.
The expectation is that with recovery from the surgical effort he might be ready to return to a regular hospital bed and to be weaned form the suporting breathing machines. All of that is great , to be sure.
So Jon had a very good day accomplishing all the goals for surgery that were needed. Now he can rest and finish getting his lungs back in shape. ONly then will be be ready for rehab efforts, and someday returning home.
As he turned I could not help wondering if he was subconsciously rooting for the Lakers who were playing this evening. I am sure he was.
Originally emailed 1.18.2011 @ 235am - Kristin Reihman
Hi all, thanks dad for this and all of your updates. It is indeed a huge relief to have the surgeries over and I share your hope for a ventilator wean soon. I am looking forward to being there in order to help in whatever ways I can, so I encourage anyone on this list to think of what that might mean for you, and to ask. This includes anything from driving your kid around to routine events so that you may visit Jon during windows of time you are not usually present for, to managing household matters that may be neglected if you have been at the bedside most of your waking hours, to providing stress relief with acupuncture needles. Of course I am also coming to take some shifts by the bedside. But I recognize this will be a very long road, not just for Jonny but for all of those who love him, and the more we can pace ourselves, asking for what we each need from one another and our other support systems, and offering what we can, the better off we--and Jon--will be in the end.
Looking forward to being there, barring snow and ice storm delays. My cell, for those who don't have it, is 610-704-1294.
I love you all,
Kristin
Originally emailed 1.18.2011 @ 1137am - Nick Debenedetto
Kristen-
My brothers and Bryan Garcia have gotten together and are pledging to care for his yard and garden. Unfortunately, I think we set the bar too high for his return! ;)
His neighbor Rick was gracious enough to have the grass cut before we got there, and we are planning to return soon to work on the back yard. We haven't formalized a time, but I will be sure to convey when we will be there to not disturb anyone that might be staying.
I plan to carve out some time for shuttle service once he is out of the hospital as well.
Nick
No comments:
Post a Comment