So somewhat amazingly I was able to secure a day pass today for Jon, and after a movie with him and Courtney at the hospital, whisked him off for an 8 hour field trip! First we stopped his house, where Jon enjoyed a chat on his own couch with Beh and Susan, a tall glass of water that he poured himself in his kitchen, and the spectacle of Ally's snake, Hazel, killing a mouse in the bathtub (who knew it would be such an action packed stop by his house!? Not me.....). He napped on the drive to the cabin and when we got there found his way quickly into the super bowl chamber. At halftime we celebrated Jane's birthday (happy birthday, Janey!!) and at the fourth quarter's start, he, Beth, Xavi and I had to head back down the mountain. All in all, a wonderful time with family and a fun outing for Jon. I suspect he will sleep well tonight.
Some milestones from today: Jon showed a lot of self-awareness this morning when I brought up the possibility of his going up to Shaver for Jane's party. He expressed concern that others might be expecting him to be the usual gregarious host, and told me he didn't quite feel up to that role yet. When I told him he would have no such expectations placed on him, and that he could rest or leave at any time if it got too much, he dmonstrated good limit setting by suggesting we make a sign on a popsicle stick that he could carry, which said, "I was told I wouldn't have to talk to you." I think I could use one of those signs, myself.
That's all for tonight, folks! Hope your team won. Kristin
Love the sign idea! We all need one of those. Jon is so lucky to have such a great family. Looking forward to more updates (especially from Jon himself) on the blog.
ReplyDeleteJessica