Saturday, February 12, 2011

Saturday 2/12/2011


Happy Saturday all!


Today Jon and I ventured out to Denny's for a late breakfast. Jon ordered a meal fit for a king which included buttermilk pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage and, of course, bacon :)
It was magical to watch Jon rekindle an old romance! Hahaha....At one point we were waiting for our food to arrive and I asked him if he thought bacon would be too crunchy to eat, he looked at me and said, "Babe, I don't care if it is. I'll suck on it until it's soft enough. Or, I'll put it over the wires on my teeth so my lips don't get torn up anymore". This guy is seriously dedicated!
Around 1PM Jon, Chris (his main nurse) and I all ventured out to Albertson's to complete Jon's weekly grocery shopping. CNS provides a list and a set amount of cash and it is Jon's responsibility to locate all of the items and/or supplement items he may dislike for another similar item in the same category. For example, the dairy category has sliced cheese, shredded cheese, string cheese and cottage cheese. String cheese was checked for him to purchase but he prefers sliced cheese. So he would make the decision to supplement the sliced cheese. He is also watched to make sure he is locating the items without assistance, getting all of the items on the list in the proper portions, and staying within budget parameters. The shopping list is designed so that his diet is balanced regardless of whether he prefers to cook a meal himself or purchase a similar product that may be prepared already or with less 'actual' cooking. Once the purchasing is complete the nurse also watches that he loads the groceries into the car, and unloads them and puts the items away in a logical manner once he gets to the apartment. Jon did awesome in the store, and only became frustrated once when he came to an item that he usually would not eat and didn't see the point in purchasing it. He asked Chris, "Two potatoes? What am I supposed to do with two potatoes? I really don't see myself making anything with potatoes!". Way to take charge, Jon! :)
I'll be honest, as a person that usually avoids the grocery store at all costs, this trip wasn't too bad. I did learn that going to a smaller store does not necessarily save you time....it just means that the signs over the aisles that are designed to give you an idea of what you can get on that aisle are WAY less clear. Who knew that you would find canned fruit on the 'Kitchen Gadgets, Spices and Baking' aisle?!?!?! Confusing!
The grocery store wore us all out a little so now we're back at the apartment watching Monsters vs. Aliens on DVD. Jon was lucky enough earlier to catch the end of the UCLA game and was stoked to see them win, GO BRUINS!! We also got all of the passwords and security keys figured out for him to be able to get onto the internet and Skype with the girls later. YAY technology, finally!
Not sure what adventures our evening will hold. Maybe a movie out, Jon was wanting to see The Green Hornet and we heard there is a really nice theater down the road with reclining seats....I guess we will see!
Much love,
Jackee

3 comments:

  1. Jackee, good to see some new posts here, and a photo of Jon! He sounds like he's doing great. We are keeping a close eye on his progress here in Oakland, so please let him know!

    Jessica (and Pat and kids)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jackee for these great updates! Give Jon a big hug from his sister in Allentown! XOXO Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Jon! We are following your progress closely! Art and Chris Borges

    ReplyDelete